Upcycle Peekaboo Heart Pillow

 

Valentine's Day is coming and my mind is on hearts.  This is a project I made a couple of years ago when I was on a pillow-making tear.  I'm especially proud of this one because it's made from upcycled materials.  I call it the "Peekaboo Heart" because the grey fabric in the center is "peeking" out from under the heart ribbon and the two side fabrics.

I started out with fabric that I found at Goodwill.  I think it might have been a curtain someone cut up before donating it.



I also had a couple of fabrics I upcycles - a steel grey valance and cream curtains.  These made the center piece on the front and the back of the pillow.  Finally, I had this pretty ribbon but could never use it because it was so wide with hearts.


I also upcycled an 18" square pillow form.  This is an envelope pillow (find the basic pattern here), but because I was using multiple fabrics (3 separate pieces on the front and another on the back), you have to cut it this way:

Front of Pillow:
Main Fabric "A" 2 pieces each 7" x 18"
Contrasting center fabric "B" 6" x 18"
Ribbon 2 pieces 18" each
Back of Pillow:
2 pieces fabric "C" 13.5" x 18"

I like envelope pillows because I usually make them with washable fabrics.  In this case the fabrics are dry clean only.  Because I used synthetic fabrics, I used a needle made for fine fabrics and zig stitches to prevent puckering and fraying on the seam allowances.  I also cut them with pinking shears. You can put the zigzag stitch in before you start working with the fabric if the risk of fraying is high.  You can also use a serger for a finished look.

To make the front, place the 18" edge of a Fabric A piece and Fabric B piece, right sides facing, sandwiching the ribbon between them.  If you don't have ribbon, you can use lace or another fabric about 2-4" wide.  Sew a seam down the 18" side, using a 1/4" seam allowance.  Repeat the process on the other right side of the Fabric B piece and the other Fabric A piece with the other ribbon piece sandwiched between them.  When you finish sewing the two seams, this is the pillow front:  


For the back of the pillow, on each piece of fabric, turn under one of the 18" sides by folding over 1/2" and then folding over another inch again to make a hem.  Using a zigzag stitch in a contrasting thread, sew over the top of the fold to make the hem.  After this step you will have two pieces of Fabric "C", each with one of the 18" sides sewed under in a hem.

To finish, take the front of the pillow, right side up, and lay the two back pieces on top, right sides down, matching the raw 18" sides of the front and back.  The back pieces will overlap in the center.  The wrong side is up so you should see the folded side of the hems on back pieces.  Those hems will be parallel to the front center fabric, so it looks like this:


Using a zigzag stitch, sew a 1/4" seam all the way around.  Clip the corners and turn right side out. Ease the pillow form into the finished cover, taking care to push the pillow form all the way into the corners.  You're done!



cindy





Comments

Popular Posts