Cool Stripes Afghan

 


Sometimes the best creations are the easiest.  This has to be one of my all time favorites and even beginners to crochet can make this for themselves.  This Cool Stripes Afghan is made from my favorite yarn, Bernat Blanket Stripes.  It comes rolled like a cake in these cool colors - this set is "Tiny Teal." I LOVE working with this yarn!  It's chunky, but so nice to feel the soft cuddly chenille-feel of this yarn as you work with it.  It's my "go-to" yarn for baby blankets and now throws for the home.


There really is no pattern - I just used single crochet, alternating between the front and back loop. I chose to keep going when the color changed even if it changed in the middle of a row.  If you would prefer more even stripes, you can cut the yarn at an end before the color changes, but I thought that defeats the purpose of a single skein with multiple colors. I had some left over Bernat Blanket yarn in the matching cream color, so I used that to make a single crochet border around the edges.  That's something else I like with Bernat Blanket yarn - they make the skeins in the multi-colors, but you can also find the coordinating solids in most colors.


I wanted a blanket that would go with some pillows I made and be big enough for adult use.  This blanket is about 33" x 60", and includes a single crochet border in the cream color. If I made it again, I would probably make it just a little longer.  I used just a little less than 4 skeins (cakes). Please note this yarn is exclusive to JoAnn Fabrics.


It's so warm and easy to make over a weekend.  I made this one a while back and I have washed it multiple times.  This yarn holds up really well, without shrinking or pilling.  That's just another reason I go back to this yarn for many of my blanket projects.  With the cool weather coming don't you need a new blanket to cuddle?

cindy

Comments

Popular Posts