Quilt As You Go Pillow




Quilting can be very intimidating to learn. However a couple of years ago, I discovered an easier way to learn a little quilting by making pillow covers.  This technique is called "quilt as you go."  This particular pattern is known as a "log cabin" design.  The tutorial includes photographs from several pillows I have made, but the basic pattern and technique is the same.  The pattern is available HERE in my Etsy store, Pretty Home Threads for digital download for only $5.00.

This pattern includes detailed instructions on making a 12" or 14" square pillow cover with 2 different layouts.  You can use mostly scraps to create your pillow cover (as few as four fabrics or as many as 9 different fabrics).  You will also need lightweight quilt batting and a pillow form for your completed pillow cover.  The pillow cover is a removable cover that can be washed (unless you use a fabric that isn't washable).  You could have an adorable pillow for your bedroom or living room that reflects your theme/season.

Here are the layouts:

On this pillow I used 6 different fabrics


On this pillow I used 2 fabrics and a cross stitch design.


You can make the quilting as complicated or easy as you want.  In fact, you don't really need to add more stitches to the pillow - it is pieced directly on the batting so it already has the "quilted" effect.  

This is a great pattern for even the beginning sewist.  If you can cut and sew straight (or maybe even not so straight), you can make fun pillow covers yourself.  Download of the digital pattern is automatic from Etsy when you place your order, so there is no waiting (or cost) for shipping.  Just print the digital file (or use it on your computer screen).

If you do make a pillow, please send me a picture or tag me on Instagram @prettyhomethreads.  Not feeling up for creating your own pillow?  I have pillow covers available for purchase at Pretty Home Threads on Etsy.  If you have an idea for colors or styles you don't see, send me an email or message me through Etsy.  I would love to make a custom design just for you.

cindy








Comments

Popular Posts